Wednesday, April 15, 2009

ra ra riot + disclaimer

Whenever I go to see a show, I like to be prepared for what I'm going to be listening to. I'm going to see Death Cab tonight and recently bought the album of their opening act, Ra Ra Riot. It's a great headphones listen with some real gems on it.

















The critics mention the term "Baroque pop" a lot when they talk about these New Yorkers (possibly because they have a cellist in their midst). It's a term I've not been familiar with but, apparently, it just means that they use strings heavily? Whatever. It's just good music.

"Can You Tell" is my favorite track on the album but close seconds are "Ghost Under Rocks", "Too Too Too Fast" (the keyboards totally remind me of Stevie Nicks' "Stand Back") or "Suspended In Gaffa" (nobody writes a pop song in a clippy, compound meter anymore).

On a completely different note, I just read what may be the first disclaimer ever (I can't back that up). You know how at the end of a Law & Order: SVU episode they flash that "all characters are completely fictitious and similarities to actual events are completely coincidental" mumbo jumbo which we all know isn't true? I just read what may be my favorite version of that from the 12th century manuscript "The Book of Leinster" (the specifics of why I was reading about ancient Irish mythology will have to remain a mystery for now because it would just take me too long to explain). It reads:

"But I who have written this story, or rather this fable, give no credence to the various incidents related in it. For some things in it are the deceptions of demons, other poetic figments; some are probable, others improbable; while still others are intended for the delectation of foolish men."

How awesome is that? Maybe I'll add that to the end of all my new pieces. Or maybe just to this blog.

Mahalo.

No comments: