Monday, April 27, 2009

art for thought: gregory euclide

I'm a huge fan of local artist Gregory Euclide (anyone want to get me a giant print?) and one of these days I'll get around to seeing a show of his. He's a fantastic guy and an unflinching artist whose landscapes are some of my favorite things to look at that I've ever seen (especially the ones he painted-or-whatever in 2007 & 2008). He recently did an interview with Metro Magazine about some of his relief work which is extremely interesting. There's also a great article if you're game.

It's always an eye-opening experience to hear how another "type" of artist thinks about their particular medium. I found it incredibly intriguing to try and relate what he says about memory to music. Remember the first time you heard Bach's Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied or Norah Jones' first album? I do. And they have incredibly specific emotional contexts.

No comments: