Saturday, November 10, 2007

color madrigals DONE!














Yeah, dude! I am totally, utterly, completely done with the Color Madrigals. I normally don't get done with pieces so quickly but, in the case of the last two madrigals, they just flowed out. Each is less than 3 minutes of music so it's sort of no surprise. I'm not sure yet what order they're all going to go in yet but, as it stands, I have a six-movement choral work. Listed in the order they were written they would be:

A Grass-Green Pillow
Serpents in Red Roses Hissing
Purple-Stained Mouth
Yellow Brooms and Cold Mushrooms
Orange-Mounts of More Soft Ascent
Blue! 'Tis the Life of Heaven

This little idea that started a year ago and progressed slower than anything I've ever written (because it was premiered in parts over that entire year) is FINISHED! I put the last notes into Finale a couple of days ago and went to Kinko's yesterday to pick up the final product. Holding the finished, bound score in my hands is one of my favorite parts of the whole process. It feels legitimizing.

In other news, my building has been getting re-sided (if that's a word). It's been interesting to watch the workers chew down the building over the past few weeks. I tried to take a nap one day and one of them laddered up to within a few feet of my head and started hammering the crap out of my outside wall. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much.

Since I don't have a "before" picture you'll have to settle for what it looked like out my living room window after they tore off all the original wood siding. Pretty harsh, right?














A couple of days later, my building turned black and got the measles.














And, the finished product. I'm guessing they still have to give it a scrub.





No comments: