Monday, August 6, 2007

new toy

I bought a laptop last week. It's my first "major" purchase in a long time (thanks to the fact that my stolen car was returned last summer) and I am completely in love. It's just nice to be able to take your documents with you wherever you go. Unfortunately I know the neighborhood Starbucks more than I probably should already and, with the addition of this little computational beauty to my life, it looks like my addiction to caffeine is in no danger of subsiding.













Composer essentials: a computer with Finale and a cup o' joe.

I'm still slogging away on my "secret" piece. In fact, I pulled a semi-all-nighter at Perkins last week (I left at 3:30am) in order to get a little further on it...couldn't have done that without my new toy!

The piece itself is going to be a lot of fun to sing, I think. Because it's based on such a short text (just 12 words) it will, by necessity, force me to really develop the material that I've written. It will be a choral calico quilt of sorts because there will be so many different ideas tied together. But even a calico quilt keeps you warm at night, right? We'll see what comes out. Deadline is August 20. I've never missed one yet and I don't want to start now. Yee-haw!

No comments: