Wednesday, August 22, 2007

it's almost done...thanks be to the gods

Iron Sharpens Iron has entered the final stages of the game (dynamics, score formatting, etc.) and none too soon. It will be unbelievably nice to get this one in the can. I'm certainly not complaining but, after staring at a computer screen for so long, it gets nice to think that you're almost done. I think that, after the fun part of coming up with the piece, it can seem like an awful lot of work to make it into something that other people can bring to life. This, of course, is a prelude to the even better part of hearing it performed so, in the end, it's probably worth it.

Here is a superfluous picture of a cat re-enacting what it's like for me after hours of work and cups of caffeine (and maybe the occasional mini-bag of pretzels).












In other news I can formally announce a residency with Sacramento's Vox Musica next April. The singers and conductor Daniel Paulson threw down a breathtaking performance of Three Nightsongs last season and I'm glad to be meeting them in person and doing a little pre-concert lecturing. This is an up-an-coming ensemble that's received some good reviews so I have the feeling it will be a blast. Add to that the fact that I've never been to Sacramento before and you have a possible combustible Edison.

I also found out today that, thanks to Daniel Hughes and The Choral Project, I finally cracked Amazon.com! Their CD, One Is the All is now available on Amazon along with a great clip of their performance of Musica animam tangens. Daniel is a great guy (we're collaborating long distance this winter on a performance of A Christmas Carol) and the choir is second-to-none.

No comments: