Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Seattle trip

In June my mother and I took a trip out to Washington state to pick up my little sister, Caitlin, from Western Washington University. I never got a chance to post pictures from that week-and-a-half-long drive. So...

We got into Seattle after 3 day on the road and sat down for a really nice meal at the Oceanaire Seafood Room. I tried the oysters. They were okay...take 'em or leave 'em. Not bad. But not my taste.


















I had the blackened mahi mahi with bleu cheese and onion rings on top.














Garlic smashed potatoes on the side.














The next day we took a trip to the Experience Music Project. It's a big, aluminum-and-other-things building designed by Frank Gehry and it shares the space with the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame. For a music-and-sci-fi supernerd like myself that was like having my cake and eating it too. I looked at some stuff that was used in Star Trek in the same building as the guitar that Jimi Hendrix played the Star-Spangled Banner on at Woodstock. Way cool!


















It's right at the base of the Space Needle.














You can see the top of the EMP building from the outer deck of the Needle. My architect mother tells me that the purple material (which is made to be visible from the Needle and nowhere else) was nicknamed "purple haze." The place was funded by the owner of the biggest Jimi Hendrix collection in the world. He's obviously got a lot of money.














Once we got up to Bellingham, WA to pick up Little Shank we had a great meal at Blue Fin Sushi.













Course #2. This was a deep-fried first for me. It was really, really good.














What visit to Seattle would be complete without a visit to Pike's Place Market?














Hello! I'm a Monk Fish.

















Here is an aquatic rock formation masquerading as oysters.














Walking around the market was this guy with a possum on his shoulder. Caitlin took it upon herself to talk with him. It turns out that the creepy possum was actually pretty nice. It was eating chicken at the time.














Later that day we took a side trip to the we-don't-let-you-take-any-pictures-anywhere-but-in-the-lobby-because-we're-lame Seattle Art Museum. This was the sculpture in said lobby.














We had another great meal at McCormick & Schmick's. I think this was sea bass or something. It was like eating chicken that had the texture of steak. It was really well-prepared.










No comments: