Tuesday, March 17, 2009

i heart bloggers

Peter Hoesing--an amazing musician I became friends with back in my college days--keeps a blog, The Artclectic Academic, which currently features his travels as an ethnomusicologist doing field research in Uganda. You should totally read it.

He is a fantastic writer and the pictures he throws in amplify everything even more.




















It verges on everything from really "academic":

I theorized this kind of music broadly as a clear manifestation of expressive culture common to the entire Interlacustrine or “Great Lakes” Region of East Africa. In this context, I used the term kubandwa, deriving from the proto-Bantu root -band- (something pressed or oppressed). Having read a lot of literature on so-called “cults of affliction,” I later posited kubandwa as a musical habitus (in the Maussian understanding of techniques du corps) that people in this region use to approach common health problems. In short, people in this region situate kubandwa as a set of bodily techniques within rituals that Victor Turner would call dramaturgies (basically, drama + liturgy = dramaturgy).
To the entry on drinking beer and eating bugs (my personal favorite...the entry, not the bugs).





I'm still wading my way through it but I think I'm hooked. Shine on, brother!

1 comment:

artclectic said...

Wow man, thanks for the public dig of my blog! Glad you like it. More to come on the "Travels with Nakayima" series soon, which should be easier now that I have stateside bandwidth to play with. Woohoo!