Thursday, March 19, 2009

the hazards of love

I just bought the iTunes pre-release version of The Decemberists' new album, The Hazards of Love, and have been listening to it for the last couple of hours. I love it. You should buy it.




I think this might qualify as the very first "concept" album I've ever owned but, speaking as a "classical" composer, I would just call it a song cycle or an opera in one act. It follows the story of Margaret, her shape-changing lover, William, a queen and a womanizer. I've been wanting to adapt some William Blake poetry into something similar for years so maybe this will serve to get me started. Not enough hours in the day...

It's off to Greece for a week starting Sunday. I'm sure I'll get some great pictures to post here (and hopefully a tan).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Hazards of Love, Revenge! is yet to stop giving me chills by at least the third child's stanza. That violin underwatery effect is NUTS.

Also to be appreciated: Colin got a choir of children to sing "he-urr", much like a certain conductor I know. Have fun in Greece, ya big loser!

Unknown said...

I bought it too. It's not there best album, but it's still good.

Joshua Shank said...

Definitely not their best album. I'm a "Picaresque" fan myself (every song paints a complete picture of the person/persons they're talking about). However, the more I've listened to THOL the more I've come to appreciate how Colin drives the narrative as each song goes by. It's really remarkable.