Monday, May 14, 2007

You can't go home again...

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to go back to Faribault High School (that's pronounced "FAIR-bo" for some weird reason, by the way) to talk about being a composer in front of a bunch of journalism students. Let the nerdiness begin...

Back in high school, I was co-editor-in-chief of the school newspaper along with 2 other students and, since that program is getting hacked to ribbons by all the usual reasons (you guessed it...budget cuts), Ms. Zwagerman called in some reinforcements in the form of editors from years gone by.

You have to understand that, at FHS, "Zwag" (as her students affectionately call her) has created something of a dynasty. The FHS Echo has been in the top 10 in the nation for years and years (nerdy fact: we got 7th the year I worked on it...and 2nd the year after) and more MN Student Journalists of the Year have come from FHS than any other school in the state. It's a TOTALLY worthwhile, award-winning, inspiring program that has come under fire in these days of budget shortfalls and I'm more than happy to do my bit for proverbial king and country to see that it stays. I know it's cliche to say this but Kelly Zwagerman is one of those teachers who will absolutely change your life. During the time I worked on that paper I met amazing people (one of them went on to join this band), learned a lot about what you might think and even more about what you wouldn't.

Here's a pic of the whole lot (there's about 2 on either side of the picture that got inadvertently cut out). The choice of professions ran the gamut from sports writer for the Minneapolis Star Tribune, former Fox TV news anchor, an English as a Second Language Teacher, composer, financial planner, golf course manager, public relations for Valleyfair as well as a correspondent for the Twin Cities NBC affiliate.






First we were all asked to answer the question "How did knowing how to write help you in your career?" Here's Karen Burkhartzmeyer giving the answer we were all thinking about (it had something to do with how important email was nowadays). Karen had the distinction of being one of Kelly's first students. She currently writes for Chicken Soup for the Soul.



















Since Karen essentially spoke for all of us it forced me to be creative. I decided to give the first half of my answer in Instant Messenger Speak to underscore the fact that you have to know how to write in a cogent manner. This is me apparently complimenting Laura LeVake on her previous answer using some of that jargin. To my left is uber-public-relations-guru McKenzie Kelley. I also vaguely remember asking some kid in the audience what his dream job was and getting the answer "pyrotechnics expert" in return. I think he was completely serious. $100 says that I'll never get that answer again if I ask that question as long as I live.













After a great forum with some really, really great people we all went and had the obligatory dinner and adult beverage at The Depot Bar & Grill. Since it's the old Faribault train station you get one rumbling by every now and then. It shakes the whole building! This is the lot of us and, unfortunately, the only picture I actually have of Zwagerman (she's on my right). I am really thankful to have had this opportunity to go back and take a look around at the old stomping grounds. It was weird...definitely weird...but a ton of fun in the end. Go Faribault Falcons!

No comments: