Friday, May 25, 2007

Run for the border

A few weeks ago a friend told me about a "secret menu item" at Taco Bell and, being the Taco Bell afficionado that I am, I went and tried it. It's called the Cheesy Gordita Crunch and, if you have the chance, I highly suggest you try it. It just may be my Taco Bell item-of-choice from now on. For some reason it's not actually on the menu but you can order it with no problem at all. Look at this beauty:













It's basically a hard shell taco wrapped in a Gordita and you might be thinking to yourself, "Hey, it's just a Double Decker Taco with a Gordita instead of a flour tortilla on the outside." But, guess what? You'd be wrong. The Cheesy Gordita Crunch has a secret. You can see it peeking out a little over the Gordita in the picture. Whereas the Double Decker Taco uses refried beans to bind the two tortillas together, the CGC uses delicious, melted cheese. As an extra bonus they put some Baja Sauce inside to make it even tastier. So good...words cannot express.

This got me wondering what other "secret menu items" there might be that I'm completely unaware of and missing out on every time I make a run for the border. You know, when you think about it, the people at Taco Bell are geniuses: they take the same 7 ingredients and spread them out over a whole menu of insanely-good-but-probably-not-so-healthy food. Their overhead must be nothing. They've got to be cleaning up at the bank (when they don't have E. coli or rats, that is) and, with all the possible combinations, there must be other secret menu things.

No comments: