Tuesday, May 22, 2007

nookyooler

It's a slow blog day: One of my major pet peeves is when people can't pronounce words correctly. I don't know where I picked this little tick up but when people say some of the following words wrong it makes me want to strangle them sometimes. I understand why you might mess up less-common words (i.e. Worcester, insouciant, tiramisu, etc.) but there are a few words out there that are, for some reason or another, acceptable to mispronounce. Wikipedia even has a list of "disputed pronunciations" that addresses this problem. So, just to set the record straight:

et cetera: et-set-er-a, not ek-set-er-a

February: feb-roo-air-y, not feb-yoo-air-y

chipotle: chi-pot-lay, not chi-pole-tay
It's even worse when a waiter/waitress shows you the new "chipolte" item on the menu...just look at the word!

nuclear: noo-klee-ur, not noo-kyoo-ler
Irreparable damage has been done to this one because our President, the "Leader of the Free World", has stood firm for many years and spoken it incorrectly. I think he does it on purpose...

Realtor: reel-ter, not ree-la-ter

espresso: eh-spreh-so, not ex-prehs-o

No comments: