Monday, November 23, 2009

new toy

I was helping my friend, Eric, move this summer and during the trek from Former Home to New Home a motorcycle passed us as we were driving a van packed full of stuff down the highway. This particular motorcycle was really, really loud and, since we were going through a tunnel at the time, it was that much more offensive to mine ears.

I don't get the fetish of loud automobiles and I never have. Because of this I made some snarky comment about the uselessness of machismo and asked Eric what the appeal was. Of course, it turns out that owning something like that is just like wanting a new toy when you're a kid.

Still nothing from me.

This then prompted a discussion about what I would do if I had to spend a million dollars.

How about a sports car?

What's the point? Why would I ever want to spend money on something like that?

What about a nice house?

Like a house that costs a million dollars?

Yeah.

Why would I need all that room?


There's nothing that you want that could cost all that money.

I guess I would just pay off all my loans, buy a decent house and a decent car and then just give the rest away.

That's incredibly boring. There isn't a single toy that you don't need that you could use that money for. What about guitars?

Oh. That actually sounds like something I might buy.

So that's your 'toy' then. You're a guitar guy.

Shit. I think you might be right.


So feast your eyes on my newest toy: a beautiful Fender Telecaster. I got it for a ridiculously small amount of money on Craigslist.















And it plays like a dream. One of the reasons I've always wanted a Telecaster is because the sound is so clear. You can play an acoustic gig with just a little reverb and a microphone or you can turn up and wail.

I don't have a name for this thing yet but my guitar collection is complete for the time being.

No comments: