Wednesday, October 15, 2008

fingers crossed that this didn't happen to me

I was talking with some friends recently about this new piece in Urdu and how I've had to seek the outside expertise of a person who knows that particular language. On top of that I've also asked someone knowledgeable about the International Phonetic Alphabet to write it out as a resource for the performers. During this discussion someone mentioned that these two people could totally just be messing with me and I've been writing in gibberish for the last few months.

I'm paranoid enough as it is trying to speak phrases in a language so far-removed from my own without actually knowing exactly what I'm saying 100% of the time and that notion really didn't help. I've been extremely careful in how I approached working on this commission (I'll probably write something here about the process in the future since it was so unique) but, if one of my collaborators has a sick sense of humor or a bone to pick, it's not outside the realm of possibilities that this totally could have happened.

Apparently, the reason they thought of said hypothetical situation was an episode of Frasier where he speaks at his son's Bar Mitzvah. In it, Dr. Crane asks a friend to translate his speech into Hebrew for him so he can make it more meaningful for his son as well as the congregation. Unfortunately, this particular friend is mad at him for some reason and his way of getting back at Frasier is translating the speech into Klingon instead.

Hilarity obviously ensues and, luckily, I found the clip on YouTube. It's actually pretty funny.

(p.s. The kid at the end was totally me in middle school minus the yarmulke and knowledge of Klingon culture.)

No comments: