Saturday, April 12, 2008

sacramento - day 1

After dropping off my things at the studio apartment that Vox procured for me in midtown, Dan and I went and had lunch with the choir's advisory committee. We ate at their regular haunt, The Waterboy, and unfortunately, I forgot my camera. The meal was crazy good (I had the seabass) and came complete with the best Pinot Noir I've ever had.

Dan had some things to do before that night's dress rehearsal so he farmed me out to Martha from the advisory committee. She had some errands to run around town and, never having seen Sacramento before, I was happy to tag along. The first stop was an art gallery where I snapped some photos when nobody was looking. These things were great (and poorly lit since I was sans flash).













How about weird-spooky-tooth-beaver?













They also had paintings.













After that first gallery (whose name I can't remember) we stopped at another called Jay Jay to look at some more West Coast art. Apparently we were close to Martha's daughter's school and she wanted to stop in to say 'hello.' They were rehearsing a production of The Sound of Music at that point so we sat in for "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" At this point it occurred to me how strange it was that I had woken up in Minnesota that morning and now I was sitting in Sacramento, California watching a musical rehearsal at an all-girls school. When I asked Martha how they got around this fact she told me that they bused some guys in to fill the male roles and changed a few others to fit. The role of Uncle Max went to Martha's daughter but they wisely (and probably illegally) changed it to "Aunt Maxine". Despite the fact that they were great, it was a fairly surreal experience. What must it be like to not have your life occasionally populated by unique experiences like this? I'm sure all these commissions will dry up at some point and I'll get to find out.













After Rodgers and Hammerstein it was warm sake at the sushi restaurant below my apartment and...













...supper at Centro Cocina Mexicana with some of the freshest guacamole you've ever had.













I ordered the Cochinita Pibil (or Puerco Pibil if you like). It's a traditional dish from the Yucatan that I've seen made before but never actually had a chance to try. They roast the pork inside a banana leaf with achiote paste to give it that red hue. This stuff was really good.













To the dress rehearsal. I walked in during the middle of winter.













The promo photographer was snapping away at the same time I was. I'm sure it was incredibly annoying.













They had a great dress rehearsal and, afterwards, Dan was kind enough to set up a get together with the choir at a tapas bar in midtown. It was my first time ever having sangria and, due to the time change, I was incredibly tired. I'm sure I wasn't much fun but I had a great time.

No comments: