Friday, September 18, 2009

silent bob at the state theater + done with one movement

I went to the State Theater last night for a Q&A session with director Kevin Smith. I've been buying his movies ever since I saw Mallrats in college and it was extremely interesting to hear him talk about all sorts of things ranging from his love of hockey to writing a script to working with Bruce Willis. If you have the chance to go see him I highly suggest it. It was tons 'o fun.














In compositional news I'm done with one movement of the French pieces and I found the kernel for the next one. It's called "Le vent" ("The Wind") and is the fast one in the set. I've got a kickass tempo modulation in the second stanza which goes from triple to duple with the bottom hand of the harp/piano keeping the same pulse throughout. I'll probably post more on that later because, at the moment, it sounds like maybe the coolest transition I've ever written.

I've been listening to a ton of art songs by French composers lately (Poulenc, Fauré, Ravel, etc.) and am trying to find the "French vibe" for fast music so I can absorb how a native speaker would have treated their own language. (I had no idea that Fauré arranged the Il est ne carol for solo voice.)

No comments: