Friday, June 5, 2009

last will and testament

OhmygodIamreallysick. I think I caught some sort of super bug from the Uptown environment which is probably H1N1...it's just gotta be, right? I had a cold way back in January and hadn't been sick for ages but--damn--I have a crazy fever right now and I'm sweating like some sort of farm animal. It has been forever since I had one of these bad boys and holy crap is it debilitating. If whoever invented aspirin is still alive I have no qualms kissing them right on the lips in order to show my gratitude (after I get healthy, that is).





















Okay, but whatever. Have you guys heard of Microsoft Songsmith? I might be the last one in on this but it's mildly entertaining if not a bit insulting. Here's Dr. Frankenstein:

One of the most telling things he says is near the beginning: "This came out of a research project called MySong that you might have heard about where we looked at the statistical relationship between chords and melody and developed an algorithm to come up with chords to back up a melody."

Gah! Really?! Sometimes one of the coolest things about a melody is how it interacts with a supporting chord in a non-traditional way.

This just isn't musical creativity. Oh, it's definitely creative (I can't even imagine the time it took to figure out how to write that code) but it completely misses the point of what music is in the first place. He wants people to "make music" but this isn't even close to it.

Could this be a symptom of the "muzaking" of the world? (Side note: there's an actual Muzak Corporation that is responsible and supplies all that shit...thanks a lot, douchebags.) I don't know but I'm not happy. It reminds me of a great article I read about Auto Tune and how it's Auto Awful.

Songsmith does, however, produce some pretty funny results when you pair it with well-known songs. How about a little MJ (before he went kuh-razy)?


Let's Rickroll this thing. (Embedding was disabled on that one but, damn, is it ever funny. Seriously, click that link.)

Of course, the minute you listen to any of that crap it's patently obvious that this is not going to take at all. The "accompaniments" are so terrible that no one in their right mind would be satisfied with them.

All right, that's enough for now. I'm off to drink copious amounts of water and sit through Eastern Promises. A friend of mine forced it in my face the other day and declared that I had to see it. I watched Live Free or Die Hard a few nights ago so this has to be at least better than that.

No comments: