Sunday, February 22, 2009

week in review: Mötley Crüe + Haydn

The title of this ridiculous entry says it all. I saw both Mötley Crüe and a performance of Haydn's The Creation in the space of a few days. I'm still reeling from the culture shock of seeing them in such close proximity. Here, see how your brain reacts to this:

Mötley Crüe













Franz Josef





















The Crüe
















Papa Haydn














"The Saints of Los Angeles"















"The Father of the Symphony"















See, I told you it was jarring. Now just take a deep breath, have a drink of water and realize it's going to be okay.

I am not a fan of Mötley Crüe and probably never will be but last Wednesday I fell ass-backwards into some free tickets to go see them in the Fox Sports suite at the Xcel Center. A friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go and, not being able to turn down a free $100+ ticket, I decided to go to experience the entire thing. It wasn't as good as AC/DC a month or so back but it was certainly a big production. I wasn't allowed to take any pictures (and was actually forced back into the Minnesota cold to take my camera back to the car) so I don't have anything to back up what I'm about to describe. What this means, however, is that you'll just have to take me at my word that there was some extremely risque behavior between the respective 20-foot tall, moving silhouettes of an angel and a demon as the show began...like really, really, not-even-close-to-PG-13 bad. But it's the Shout at the Devil guys, right?

It's part of the package. No problem. Next song.

This isn't to say that I had a bad time at all. In fact, I had a blast. Remember Dr. Feelgood? He's the one that makes you feel all right. I totally just bought it on iTunes.

So that was Wednesday. On Friday I hit the Ordway Center to hear the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra celebrate their 50th Anniversary by putting on an amazing performance of Haydn's The Creation. I sang a few of the arias back in college and even did a presentation on this piece for choral/orchestral lit. class so it was nice to finally hear it live. It is such a nice piece of music and, since my local orchestra of choice up to this point has been the Minnesota Orchestra, it was awesome to finally hear the SPCO in person. Dale Warland even came out of quasi-retirement to prepare the chorus for the concert.

The only downside was that the tenor who was supposed to sing the show, James Taylor (no, not that one), was unable to perform due to illness. I've loved his voice ever since I got Helmuth Rilling's recording of the Mass in B Minor a couple of years back and getting to hear him live was the part of the concert I was most excited about. Oh well, right? They got another amazing tenor on short notice whose name escapes me at the moment (this shouldn't serve as an indictment of how awesome he was, though).

So, aside from a flurry of grant writing (which I'll talk about in the future if I actually get the thing), that was my week. I was trying to think of other weird combinations like this which would be just as ironic and weird unfortunately, none of them are as funny as how it all actually went down.

...can't make this stuff up.

No comments: