Monday, January 12, 2009

great book, great soup

I've only been at the vegetarian thing since last August so I'm constantly on the lookout for good recipes. I think I found my absolute favorite book: Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.




















For those of us who are not the best cooks in the entire world (i.e. me) she lays out pretty much everything you need to know. This isn't just a book of recipes; when she says "cook on low heat" there's a specific entry on what that actually means, what something cooking at that temperature looks like, etc. It's incredibly thorough (thankfully).

I'm a huge fan of soups (I used to make a mean chicken noodle soup) and I've been searching for something I can make on a regular basis. I recently combined three of her various recipes for potato soup into one mutant concoction and flipped out over the results. I really miss a nice beef stew (รก la Irish stew) and I think I've finally found a better-than-decent replacement that uses vegetable broth and no beef.

It uses a lot of leeks and, as it was my first encounter with this particular vegetable, I thought I would take a picture. Chopping these babies made me feel like a real chef. They're so much fancier than regular onions.
















Plus they're a whole lot more colorful than your run-of-the-mill yellow or white varieties.
















The piece de resistance. This was incredibly good (and worth the hour I spent chopping organic potatoes, leeks, carrots and mushrooms) and now has a permanent place in my culinary repertoire.











Next up on the menu: Abbie Betinis's recipe for vegetarian chili. She apparently found it in this book and, hands down, it is the best chili I have ever had...ever. You can bet it will make an appearance here.

No comments: