Sunday, May 11, 2008

new gadget

I am the worst when it comes to having the latest technology. Maybe it's a Midwestern mentality, but I'll use a piece of technology until it breaks rather than buy something new that is obviously faster solely because of the money.

Case in point: my printer. I bought a shitty inkjet way back in 2000 and kept it until I couldn't stand it anymore...and that doesn't even sum up how completely insane it made me.

I could only print 3 pages at a time or I had to restart the entire computer (which I bought at the same time as the printer so you can guess how long those 3 pages took to print with the included restart time). It was like having one of those old dot matrix printers I used in my 8th grade keyboarding class.

Requiescat in pieces, my friend (as soon as I figure out how to dispose of you in an Earth-friendly manner).
















I recently went to my local Best Buy (a Twin Cities company, by the way) and requested to be taken through the laser printer section. I bought this. I know it doesn't look cool but it works way better than its predecessor.






Not only can this thing put out more than 3 pages at a time, but it can actually print 20 pages in one swath in an eighth of the time it took for my previous P.O.S. to print the aforementioned THREE pages.

I'm in love. Seriously. I know that's lame but a breath of printer-oriented fresh air is pretty nice.

The interesting thing about this particular purchase was that, once I revealed to the salesmen that I was a composer, he launched into a fairly lengthy description of his uncle who occupied the same profession. He even went as far as to write this guy's name down on a Hewlett Packard flyer and request my information so he could look it up. Way cool and way interesting.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present Russell Danburg (1909-1994).















Read his bio. Not exactly a lightweight.

Weird that I would run into his kin just buying a printer. I would bet a large sum of money that this guy wrote pencil-in-hand until the day he passed away and his nephew sold a me a printer based on the need to spit out more than 3 pages of music every 30 minutes.

Irony.

Small world.

No comments: