Thursday, June 7, 2007

New York - part 3

More photos to come tomorrow. For choral nerds I thought I'd list the program that the Young New Yorkers' Chorus performed last weekend.

M.L.K. (arr. Bob Chilcott)...great tenor solo. There's an amazing recording of this piece by the Concordia Choir.

Sleeping Out: Full Moon (me)

Hope There Is (Clare McClean)...I've only heard one of her other works but I really liked this one.

Horizons (Peter Louis Van Dijk)...always makes me cry. If you haven't heard it get a recording soon.

On the Beach at Night (Jonathan Kolm)...great piece. He is really good at something that I am not: the melisma.

Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine (Eric Whitacre)...the ubiquitous Italian master and American composer.

Inaabid (Daniel Nass)...this was only his second choral piece but it certainly didn't sound like it.

There Will Be Rest (Frank Ticheli)...I've heard that this was written in memoriam for his son who drowned. I certainly hope that isn't true. Beautiful piece, though.

Everyone Sang (Kirche Mecham)...lots of "la la la" and "ku ku ku" in this one. Good closer. The ACDA Choral Journal just did a great article about Mecham a few months ago but I'll admit that I don't know much about him. I've liked everything I've heard so it might be a good idea to get to know his catalogue a little better.

No comments: