Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Singers

I sat in on a rehearsal last night with a choir so good that it has 2 names: The Singers--Minnesota Choral Artists. They ran through their commissioned work, Color Madrigals, Vol. 1. I decided to try something new and try and write a "madrigal-ish" piece on a John Keats text and, by the time I was done, I had 2 shorter ones that both mentioned colors (hence, the title). As you might expect from a pro choir, they sang the H-E-double-toothpicks out of both movements and I can't wait for their first performance. They will be premiered in an interesting joint concert between The Singers and the Choral Arts Ensemble (of Rochester, MN). These 2 choirs are conducted by identical twin brothers Matthew and Michael Culloton. Go figure that one out...

Here's conductor Matthew Culloton brow-beating The Singers into submission and amazing, other-worldly sound (he's not actually 10 ft tall...it's just the photo):













I'm not sure how other composers work but, for me at least, I usually have to make a few changes. Notice the breath I gave the first sopranos before they have to rocket to the high 'B'. I feel stupid when I don't think of those things first...of course they should have a breath. Duh.













Once they ran through my pieces I joined accompanist Lisa Foland at the piano to listen to them sing through Debussy's Trois Chansons. If you haven't heard a good performance of these pieces you don't know what you're missing...vintage Debussy. While I was at the keys I snapped this beauty. The alto with a purple-ish headband and her eyes to the sky is Uber-composer Jocelyn Hagen.

No comments: